Welcome Back! The previous week we talked about how God helps us make plans for success. Goal setting can be tough, because it asks tough questions about ourselves. Was I successful? What did I accomplish or haven’t accomplished in the past year?
I hope you will share your goals and what word you picked for the year. Picking a word helps give our year more direction, purpose and vision not only for ourself but our families as well.
The word I picked for 2017 is Victory. A journey of victory is not to be enslaved by our circumstances or ways of the world but to be victorious no matter what. Victory is such a powerful word. It encapsulates all areas of life, whether it be financial victory or victory from whatever is going on in the world, it is possible to be victorious when we have Jesus.
Others have shared their word with me; Presence, Hope, Believe and Restored. Whatever your word is, I pray you are able to apply it to all areas of your life to live fully in your word that God has picked for you.
Goal Writing Tips:
When making goals ask yourself these two important questions.
1. Are these goals adding value to my life or taking away value?
2. Am I living in the Plan God has for my life?
Writing goals with meaning and purpose instead of performance, allows us to live how God designed us. For example, one goal we may desire in 2017, is to make more money. That is a good goal, but make sure there is a measurable outcome. When is it enough money? It is not realistic for all of us to be millionaires but it is realistic for us to be happy with what we have and enjoy the process. When writing goals include the desirable outcome, such as, I want to make enough money to provide for all of my families’ needs. Goals are meant to provide purpose and direction in our lives not suck the joy out of them.
Coming up with a Strategic Plan for Prayer over our goals is just as important as writing them. Keep the goal lists nearby so your goals can be constantly prayed for.
Be Specific in Prayer in These 5 Areas:
1. Roadblocks- Ask God to take away anything that is hindering us from accomplishing our goals. Taking away roadblocks, can help us move forward, go farther in reaching our goals and see so much more clearly when accomplishing them. “Build up, build up, prepare the way, remove every obstruction from my people’s way” (Isaiah 57:14).
2. Time- Give God our time He has given us already. There are only 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week. The time God has given us is all we have. Give God our time and He will give us all the time we need. Ask God to help with sticking to the our scheduled time with Him. “But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.” My times are in your hand” (Psalm 31:14).
3. Desires of our hearts- Ask God to place His desires in our hearts when setting goals. When we live in the design that God has created us to live, we experience His abundant joy, hope, love and freedom. “Above all else guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it” (Proverbs 4:23).
4. Wisdom- Ask God to help be realistic with our goals, but not sell ourselves short. When setting goals it is important to be intentional with our time. Asking for wisdom will help us make better choices that will set us up for success in the future. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10).
5. Strength- To accomplish our goals we need to persevere and endure. There will be times we want to quit and feel as though we can’t go on. Anyone can quit, but it takes courage, drive and passion to make it to the end. Never underestimate what we can learn in the process, these will be some of our most valuable lessons learned. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).
What Prayers will make an impact in your upcoming year?
Prayer- Dear God, I pray this year we will be more purposeful and intent full with our time and money you have given us and use them the way you have designed us to use them. Please guide our steps to teach us, show us how you want us to accomplish and achieve our goals as we start our New Year. We pray for wisdom in this new year! We love you God. Amen.
Keep praying for your goals! Praying for a Successful New Year! May we be abundantly filled with God’s blessings in our life! Happy New Year! I would love to hear from you! Have a blessed week!
What are some goals you would like to accomplish this year? What is your word for the year?Leave Your Comments Below.
A revised version of this post was first published on www.heathergillis.com.