What is it about the ocean or a sunset or a waterfall that makes our heart skip a beat? That warm feeling grips us, like the pleasant sensation of a hot shower or a fresh cup of coffee. For a moment, the rest of the world disappears and we simply enjoy the beauty before us.
Our environment affects our mood. Lighted rooms typically lift our spirits while dark rooms tend to give off a somber aura. Warm-colored paint fills us with peace while bright-colored paint promotes excitement. Plants and vegetation also produce a sense of happiness inside us, while sterile, man-made structures tend to leave us feeling stilted and cold.
Why do women long to be surrounded by beauty? Because that’s how God made us! Beauty gives our souls a sense of comfort, peace and rest. Lovely things add joy to the mundane of life.
In the hum-drum of life, we sometimes forget that we have a certain amount of control over our environment, and therefore, our sense peace. If you find yourself often dissatisfied with life, you may need to rethink your environment. Since we can’t hop a plane to Hawaii or Niagra Falls whenever we want, we have to use a bit of creativity!
What do you surround yourself with? Do those near you feel God’s peace? Here are some tips for enhancing your environment (at home, the office, or even the car!) in an effort to promote peace:
1) Add some types of vegetation – live plants/vines or fresh flowers.
2) Decorate with pretty things – candles, artwork, knickknacks, etc.
3) Put up photos of people, places, or pets that are precious to you.
4) Get rid of the clutter – stay tidy and organized.
5) Produce a positive aroma, such as baked goodies, fresh air, or wax/oil scents.
6) Post scripture in a place you will read it every day.
7) Foster a thankful, loving attitude.
Too many worldly distractions get us down and steal our joy, but God gives us tools such as those above to help us remain in a place of rest. Jesus said “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled…” John 14:27 (NIV)
We already have peace within us, we just have to tap into it. What are you doing to promote peace around you?
- When To Express An Opinion - August 22, 2017
- How Sharing Our Opinion Actually Creates Division - August 15, 2017
- Conferences, Prayer, & Talking with Strangers: Fusion 2017 - August 8, 2017
- Falling Down In Front Of Someone Famous - July 25, 2017
- Where Are The Houses Of Prayer? - July 18, 2017