Because it was the chicken’s day off!
Okay, so maybe that joke was lame, but if you didn’t laugh, I bet it at least made you want to smile.
Laughter promotes satisfaction with our lives. The Bible tells us a merry heart is like good medicine (Proverbs 17:22). Science has proven that when people laugh, endorphins are released in the brain, similar to when we exercise. Many studies show that consistent laughter has health benefits. We literally feel better when we laugh!
I learned the value of laughter from my mother. She was one of those people who had an infectious laugh. When something tickled her, there was no stopping the stream of laughter. And the funniest part was that she usually cracked herself up, and that would start the rest of us chuckling.
3 Benefits of Laughter:
1) Laughter bonds people together. I have many fond memories of my siblings and I gathered together listening to Mama tell stories or jokes. She took twice as long as anyone else because she kept laughing, which made it more memorable for us.
3) Laughter heals broken hearts. When Mama passed away several years ago, my family agreed we couldn’t stay serious for long – she wouldn’t want that. She’s in a better place now, no longer suffering health problems. Our fondest memories are of her laughter and we still talk about it, reminding each other of her stories. Talking and laughing about what she found humorous makes her absence from our lives a little easier to bear. She would rather we chuckle at her silliness than regret her leaving this world.
Laughter is essential in a healthy family! God wants us to enjoy our lives and rejoice in Him. Be silly with your children or grandchildren, no matter what age they are. Tickle each other, tell dumb jokes, watch funny shows, read silly stories, or play small pranks. Tease each other over little mistakes. One of the biggest jokes in my home is when mom has lost something, then check the fridge – I honestly put my keys in there once. Not my finest moment!
- How Sharing Our Opinion Actually Creates Division - August 15, 2017
- Conferences, Prayer, & Talking with Strangers: Fusion 2017 - August 8, 2017
- Falling Down In Front Of Someone Famous - July 25, 2017
- Where Are The Houses Of Prayer? - July 18, 2017
- Are You Caught in the Comparison Trap? - July 11, 2017